Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cutting Plan for Slipcovering Chair


 My very first cutting plan...
This slipcover is for the same friend that had me slipcover this chair....
 She has been patiently waiting on me.  I promised to do this for her and then we opened our Etsy shop and our booth space. 
 Needless to say it's taken me awhile.  She went ahead and bought her fabric (8 yards) back in the winter and it is now discontinued.  Yikes.  So I knew I was going to need to cut all my pieces ahead which are all rolled and labeled
 This is what I had left!  Needless to say I had the  cutting plan in my sketch book and I added all my measurements/number several times to make sure my math was right BEFORE I started cutting....I knew it was going to be close.
 The fabric is gorgeous.  The pale blue with the white and dark grey is very soft...
This is for her new son's nursery
 I usually make a box pleat in the back but since I was trying to stretch the fabric as far as it could go I decided on a zipper.  It sits nicely in the back under the piping...
 My first zipper in a slipcover but it went in pretty easily....
I also decided to go with a waterfall style pleat which I had seen on Shelly's blog.  If you've not visited her blog you should.  Especially if are a fan of slipcovers.  Her work is beautiful And read her story of how she got started...
She has a very successful business sewing slipcovers that she started out of her home when she decided to become a stay at home momma.  She very generously shared photos with me which I highly appreciated!  And she has an instructional e-book available, and I think a second one that is available or will be soon with more advanced skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment