Friday, February 18, 2011

Mittens are finished!

I just finished up the purple mittens and I'm really happy with how they turned out!  To see the whole process from the beginning you can look at Felting Goodwill Sweaters then Mitten Making Continued and Mitten Pattern and Cutting the Pieces .  These will be going to Winsome Cottage eventually....
How girly are these?!??!?
Some step by step pics if you're interested....I start with the lining.  Sew across the palm pieces and around the thumb stopping at the pin.  Don't forget this is the lining.  You sew "right sides" together but you won't be turning it inside out.
 Open those two pieces up and pin to the back of the hand piece.  Here's how I do the thumb. You can also sew up to the thumb.  Stop.  Take the whole thing out and place it under the needle on the other side of the thumb....
You can see that the seam is pretty far in as this is the lining.  You want it to be just a smidge smaller that the outer mitten.  Trim your extra and clip you're curves!!!!  It will lay so much better....
 This is the lining on my hand.  And that 's how I put it into the outer mitten.  Which gets sewn together the same as the lining only you turn it right side out when you're done.

And there they are put together.  At this point I get my cuff worked out....
 I put it inside and you can see I ended up trimming off quite a bit.....
 On this set I did it a little different---usually the "ruffle" part you see at the bottom would be the edge getting sewn to the lining and it would be down in the lining.  But I kind of like the ruffle showing and you don't have to hem so....

The last step is hand stitching the outer mitten to the lining.  I have a super duper heavy maching with NO "arm" So I can't slide this over my machine to get it under the needle.  I just do it by hand....
Flip the cuff and sew on the flower.....here are a few more shots of the "finished" product!!!

I'm entering this post into Under the Table and Dreaming's Sunday Showcase party!!!  Check out all the talented entries...tons of great ideas!
UndertheTableandDreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment