Friday, May 24, 2013

How to Reupholster a Chair Part 2


Part 1 of this chair is HERE.  This is more of the removal of the old fabric.  Which on this chair has been quite a chore.
I got all the staples and fabric loose on the seat itself and found it was attached down under the foam to the interior of the frame....
So I worked the foam out...
Found the staples underneath...

Used my little flat head screw driver to wedge underneath the staple...
Then pulled it out with the pliers...I was using these little needle nosed pliers in this photo so you can see the staple.  Flat pliers work alot better but they hid the staple a bit....
But that is pretty much what you have to do for ever staple all over the chair.  

Each staple is maybe 1/2 " wide and they are very close together all the way around the perimeter of the fabric.
This is how you start...it occurred to me after I my first post that I skipped over this part...
Pulls right off usually...and on this section it did.  Some other parts like the arms it came off in little bits and pieces...

So this is where I was after about 3-4 hours of work.  Every piece is different.  Sometimes pulling the old off goes a lot faster.  If it's got tacks in it it's actually much easier to strip down with the tack lifter..
And this is how the loose woven fabric shreds as it's being pulled off...I think I'll still be able to use it as a general pattern to lay out on the new fabric...I'm almost done with the old stuff coming off....

No comments:

Post a Comment