Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to Reupholster a Chair Part 1

 This beauty belongs to a sweet, young lady I go to church with.  
She approached me awhile back about reupholstering it for her....
I'm a slow mover.   I have a bazillion projects going on with the Etsy shop and now our booth space...
And then there are two of these cute little "distractions" too...
You can tell my kids are no stranger to the camera.
 So this is BEFORE...It's in really great shape she just wanted a different fabric...
She picked out a large black& cream buffalo check and she's actually had the fabric for awhile too just never got around to getting it on the chair.
 So I thought I would do some more detailed photos of the whole process....

Because this chair is relatively new, there are staples everywhere not tacks....
And ALOT of glue....alot of glue...
 Today was slow going...
The staples are stuck in the glue which usually peels off but this stuff isn't moving.
And the fabric is a looser weave so I'm trying to save that as my pattern for the new fabric, but it's kind of just falling apart as I pull on it to get it off....
ALOT of these too....ALOT...
Which all get pried out with a small flat head screw driver or sometimes my tack lifter will fit but it seems to be a little large for these staples...
So today I got the fabric off of the seat itself and part of one of the small arm rests....
I'll keep plugging away and keep posting photos as I go.  This style of chair is a good way to start learning how to reupholster.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful chair - can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Those staples are killers - absolutely - drive me insane!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tore a huge chunk of skin out of my knuckle today trying to get one out. These are in there pretty good and I'm trying to be really careful not to mar the wood frame of the chair....I was thinking about how this is the part your paying for when you reupholster something! The new fabric is the fun part!!!

      Delete