Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Slipper Chair Reupholstery Project

 I purchased two of these beauties :) from an online auction we buy things from sometimes....
I got them SO cheap --mostly because they were in really rough shape.  
But that's what I wanted.  
Something that I could rip apart down to the springs to teach myself how to reupholster...
 So there was a surprise under the slipcover--  I thought the springs were loose because the surface felt uneven but someone had covered up a chair where the tufting had come loose...
 So this is what I REALLY had to reupholster.
 This is under the seat with the original tufting ties and wadding....
I took all kinds of photos during the tear down but really having the second chair to look back at has been incredibly helpful...
 I have always been fascinated by this process and I've wanted to try reupholstering a piece for a long time.  I'm not sure 's very labor intensive.
I'm learning alot and I've actually already begun the process of reupholstering it...some diamond tufting on the back, a smooth seat and I decided to use drop cloth just because it was so economical.  I figured if I totally messed something up I could easily redo it.  Can't wait to share more photos of this project!


  1. Cute chairs! Can't wait to see them. By the way we are in new jersey about 10 minutes from the coast...its very interesting. I'm ready to come home.

  2. Oh, I want to try diamond tufting sometime! They are going to look so great!!

    1. I was intimidated by it at first but the book I'm using has GREAT step by step instructions. And I watch several youtube tutorials --not all of which were good BUT I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's coming along....