Thursday, September 8, 2011

Argyle desk

This little desk was a fun piece.  I wanted to try painting an argyle pattern on the drawers....
 We bought both pieces from an online auction so they weren't originally a set.  But I wanted to paint both of them anyways...
 I wasn't going to sand the chair but I decided just to rub it lightly with some 220 grit sand paper since  I had to fill a little missing piece on the back with some wood filler...
 You can see my new dining room set lurking in the background and I used the "Gekko" color on those chairs so I decided to use it as part of my argyle pattern...
 Two different shades of grey for the main diamond pattern....
 I'm sure there is a great way to lay that all out mathematically using a yard stick :)  I however am totally challenged in that area so I made a diamond template and traced it out the way I wanted....
 I don't have photos of that step.  This was going on the same week-end as my kiddos birthday party so I had more important things on my mind!
 The chair has the "Gekko" color underneath the white.  I used a piece of drop cloth fabric and painted the ticking with acrylic paints.  Both pieces were finished with a coat of wax...
She turned out pretty girly!  The hardware is so beautiful.  And made a big difference.  If I did this again I'd probably distress the drawers before painting the argyle and then go back and distress that separately.  But overall I got the look I was going for.....the argyle was fun!
Linking to...
Furniture Feature Fridays
Redoux



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

4 comments:

  1. Very, very, cool! I love the green outline. It's subtle while still making a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the argyle! Very clever.
    www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel that is a gorgeous desk. I love the colours and the distressing on the top. It would have been time consuming but so worth it. The style of the piece is just perfect too especially with all those drawers.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun. Thank you so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete