Friday, August 10, 2012

Industrial Kitchen Island

 Another project to check of the list!  Still digging out from things that were put on hold to remodel our bathroom....
 Here's how the butcher block top looked before I did anything to it.....
 My husband fabricated this base out of square tubing and angle iron.
 Some tack welds above ---metal is a very cool material to work with.  I've welded a handful of times and it's something I'd love to get better at. 
 He welded in these pieces to make the legs solid so they won't leave marks in the floor....
 Grinding some welds down--
 The boards I painted up for the bottom shelf...I used my ASCP Old White for the base and Duck Egg for the top.  
 And here's the finished top.  LOTS of sanding with some 80 grit sandpaper and I rubbed a light coat of walnut stain on.  
 Then wiped it right off.  Topped with a coat of matte polyurethane...
 Since this was for us I decided to experiment with using some candle wax rubbed on between coats of the base (Old White) and the top (Duck Egg) coats....
 Not sure if I like how it turned out, but it definitely gave the distressing a different look when I sanded it.  I finished it with clear and dark wax both.
 Wood and metal....
even better wood with some great patina and metal...
 Our new kitchen island that we can actually sit at in our stools ---
and our legs fit underneath!!!  
 I'll have to snap some pics of it inside our kitchen with our stools.....I actually helped carry it in.  The thing weighs a TON...
What can I say --redecorating motivates me!

2 comments: