Saturday, July 28, 2012

Our backyard chicken coop

 Our newest addition ---5 chickens (we're hoping they're all hens...) now living in this little coop in our backyard that my husband built with our brother-in-law.
 This was something we started back in the spring but it was put on the back burner when we had to remodel the bathroom...
 It 's nice to see it finished.  Even though my husband and I both are "creative" and always into different projects---unfinished projects drive both of us crazy!!!!  So we're glad to have this done.... 
My husband had some help from Mighty...
as soon as she saw him drilling she went to the garage and got hers....
 So this weekend we went to a local gentleman who sells chicks and bought 5 chicks that we're hoping are all hens....
 Seth was at Mamaw & Papaw's house and couldn't wait to get home to see them....
 He LOVES animals...and was so good with them. Gentle picking them up and looking at their little feet and feathers....
 He got this one to stay on his arm for quite awhile and the look on his face says it all!  He is just over the moon...
 Mighty just wanted to hold it by herself and eventually I had to take her in the house.  But I think Doodlebug would've spent the whole night out there if we'd let him.
 A new adventure for sure.... I'm an animal lover too and they are so stinkin CUTE!
 Seeing my son this way makes it all worth it.  And I can't wait to have fresh eggs right in our back yard....hopefully these little beauties will give us lots of them so we can share them too!

2 comments:

  1. I like the design of your coop. Last year, when we had chickens, we were looking at coop ideas. Then we found out we were having twins and got rid of our chickens. Maybe when life slows down a little we can have them again. The pics of Doodlebug with the chicks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you one bit! I cannot imagine TWINS!!! We saw some A frame designs after making this one that we really liked too. The nesting boxes are on the top level and the bottom level is all open....This was all Chad and Eric!!! They got together and each built one. But having animals is definitely not easy with little ones. We're looking forward to fresh eggs!!!!

      Delete