Friday, July 5, 2013

Blue Hand Stitched Leather Purse


My newest leather creation...
This blue color--- 
(Evening Blue Eco Flo dye)
is really beautiful in person.  I'm not sure that the photos really do it justice.
These photos aren't quite what I had in mind for Etsy so I'll probably try to get some outdoors when the weather cooperates.  So eventually there will be an Esty listing for her....
 I love this little detail...
Incorporating our maker's mark in the design this way worked out really well.
I had a metal strap loop for this originally, but I just didn't like the proportions with the bag once I saw it coming together...it looked too bulky and awkward...

So we wet molded the oval piece of leather around a couple of scrap pieces in the same size as the straps and it actually works really well.  
I was afraid the strap may be hard to get in and out of the leather loop but it goes back in really smoothly....
Then it secures with a button stud at the bottom of the strap.  I think the strap would've been secure enough by itself, but I wasn't sure when I was putting it together.  And once it's stitched on there you don't want to have to cut it loose to re-do it...
The back of it has some markings in the leather...
I try to use the less desirable parts of the hide for the first go at a design.  I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.  Sometimes the piece doesn't work out, and then that piece is wasted. 
Even if it does work I know I'll be carring it, and working out all the little kinks in the design so I try to save the best leather for the work we sell.

 The side gussets are about 2" wide...
And she 's about 7 &1/2" tall and 9" across
 All stitched by hand and this time I have the blisters to prove it...
I'm going to have to start taping my fingers when I stitch...
We both highly enjoy working with the leather and the ideas are endless....
The creative part of my brain enjoys designing and working out how to make it look good AND work good at the same time.
To our Etsy customers who have purchased leather goods already 
We appreciate your purchases and hope that you are happy with your leather pieces!


No comments:

Post a Comment